The Last Resort



I have this week off work, do you?  I am so excited to have time to do some projects around the house that I have been putting off like organizing photos, cleaning out closets and organizing the attic.  On top of all my little projects I plan to do some cooking as well.  I have been saving several recipes to make when I have time and will be home all day!  I really do love to cook but try to save more complicated recipes for when I have time and patience. 

The first recipe I plan to tackle is The Last Resort's Salmon with Grits and Caper Cream Sauce.  I heart The Last Resort in Athens, GA!!  It is by far my favorite place to eat in Athens and I always get the same thing the salmon with grits.  When a friend sent me this recipe from Epicurious I was beyond excited.  The recipe is below for your dining pleasure!  I am hoping it is as easy, as it is delicious. 

Salmon with Grits and Caper-Cream Sauce
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup drained capers
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 1/4 cups whipping cream

2 cups half and half
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup instant grits
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese

4 7-ounce skinless salmon fillets
1 tablespoon olive oil


Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add capers and garlic and sauté until garlic begins to color, about 1 minute. Add white wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 1 minute. Add whipping cream and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until sauce thickens enough to coat back of spoon, about 10 minutes. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm before using.)

Bring half and half, 1/2 cup water, and salt to boil in heavy large saucepan. Gradually whisk in instant grits. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Add Monterey Jack cheese and stir until melted and smooth. Season grits to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Cover to keep warm.
Meanwhile, brush salmon with oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add salmon and cook until opaque in center, about 4 minutes per side.

Place spoonful of grits in center of each of 4 shallow bowls. Spoon sauce around grits. Top grits and sauce with salmon and serve.

Bon Appétit
March 2003


Want to see how other cooks rated and reviewed this recipe? Go to http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Salmon-with-Grits-and-Caper-Cream-Sauce-107853?mbid=ipapp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth, The Whole Truth and Nothing But The Truth

At Home Facial Favs

A Sad Season