My Two Favorites....New Years and New Dresses

So now that Christmas is over it's time for New Years and New Years Eve.  I know New Years Eve sometimes gets a bad wrap so I decided to do some research and figure out the history behind NYE.

Most historians (and people far smarter than me) feel that New Years is the world's only truly global public holiday.  Pretty much every country in the world celebrates New Years.  I kinda love that, that all across the world we will all be celebrating the New Year!

The Romans dedicated this day to Janus, the god of gates, doors, and beginnings. The month of January was named after Janus, who had two faces, one looking forward and the other looking backward.

While I enjoyed my research nowhere online did it really say why I love New Years and that was a bit disappointing (but I will get to that later)

Ok, ok I know why all of you out there HATE New Years Eve but I think it gets a bad wrap.  The main reason people hate New Years Eve is they are normally disappointed with their plans or lack thereof because everyone feels that NYE should be this huge extravaganza.  WRONG ANSWER!!! 

New Years Eve isn't about being at the biggest, loudest, most expensive party (I blame the movies for us thinking NYE has to be a big, fun blow out). 


To me it is about being with people you care about and making the night a bit more special than usual.  See what I love about New Years Eve is you are making a toast (literally and figuratively) to the past year and seeing it out with a bang.  You are also welcoming what is to come and the promise of a new 12 months that could hold amazing new things like a new job, a new boyfriend, a new home or who knows what else!

I love New Years so much because maybe 2011 was awful for you well send it out in style and say goodbye to an awful year.  Or maybe it was great so take tonight to toast all the great things that happened during these past 12 months. 



I also love New Years Eve because of the promise of what the next year 2012 holds.  I am excited for the fun times with family and friends, the trips, the challenges, and mostly I am jazzed to see what will happen next.  So when the champagne toast happens at midnight tonight I will be thanking God for an incredible 2011 and asking for his blessings for 2012.

Another thing I love about NYE is yup you guessed it....DRESSING UP!!  I love wearing something beautiful and flashy that I normally would never wear.  I love getting all dressed up and wearing fun shoes and jewelry.  I know sometimes what to wear stresses gals out but I dont think there are any wrong answers on NYE!

You can wear a black dress from your closet and fun jewelry and call it a day or you can go all out!  This year I went with my go to dress gal Annie Griffin.  If you haven't checked out the Annie Griffin Collection you are missing out!  Her pieces are classic, timeless and fit perfectly.  You can shop online at www.anniegriffincollection.com and be sure to check out her blog http://anniegriffincollection.tumblr.com/.  If you are in Atlanta her line is at Poppy's.  This year I will be rocking the dress below in purple and I can't wait to wear it! 


I hope you and yours have a great New Years and an amazing 2012!  xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth, The Whole Truth and Nothing But The Truth

At Home Facial Favs

A Sad Season