The Trouble, With Trouble

I have always loved, loved the quote from the movie Shag "The trouble, with trouble is it starts out as fun."  I needed to have this written on my hand for much of college, didn't you? As I get older I still love this quote but I don't get into as much trouble as I use to these days (sad fact).  These days I struggle with getting older, growing up (who wants to), and in general what it means to be an adult.   

These days I think "the trouble, with control is it starts out innocently enough."  I have been thinking about control a lot this week.  Some not so important things happened this week that made me think about it, like not having an fing blackberry for 8 days.  And some really important things got me thinking about it like some dear sweet friends who are struggling with being sick or their babies being sick. 

I always think I'm perfectly in control of my life and "I've got this" until something that I cannot fix, cannot control and have no clue what to do about happens.  It slams into me all at once that I don't have control and thinking I do is a joke.  I think, for women anyway, control is something we will always battle with.  It's like if we can manage work, a household, workout, look cute, etc. and feel in control we are all good but don't you dare throw us a curveball unless you want to see us go def con 5 on your ass. 

I realized I need to surrender this week when I read a lengthy email from a dear friend whose baby is sick.  She wrote to all of us beautifully and asked for simple yet powerful prayer from each of us.  When I was done reading it I promptly burst into tears scaring the hubs and Mae to death (I'm not a big one for tears).

I realized it again when another dear, sweet friend emailed/texted me about something she was going through.  It's hard, difficult and painful and I felt blessed, touched and moved that she reached out to me.  I also felt heartbroken, sad and for the second time this week I gave into emotions and promptly sat on the floor in my office and cried.    I cried and I asked God why?  I asked God to give me her pain and to make it ok.  I know He can't and this is her journey.  But I would rather hurt than see anyone I love hurt. 

What I realized through both of these events is sometimes the world is incredibly sad and for that matter incredibly cruel and I can't control it.  I can be nice and peaceful but that doesn't ensure others will. All I can do is give it to God and pray.  And that my friends is sometimes the hardest thing to do.  It often times makes me jumpy and anxious because I feel like I need to BE DOING SOMETHING!  I'm a doer.  When there's a problem I want to fix it.  But sometimes you can't fix it, you can't put a band aid on it and make it better.

All you can do is pray, be a really good friend and hope that time heals the wounds that have occurred.  I hope and pray that my sweet friends feel better, know the best is yet to come and realize the impact they have had on me.  I hope for each of you that you don't have this problem of control (though I suspect you do) and that if you do struggle with it you find a way to make peace with it on your journey. 

I love you all to the moon and back.  xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth, The Whole Truth and Nothing But The Truth

At Home Facial Favs

Old School Calendar