Working Girl Rules: Know Your Enemy

Wow, it has been a while since I have done a working girl rules entry!  I have missed them.  :)

This week I thought about knowing your enemy in the work place.  It always seems that no matter where you work, what you do there can be drama.  Some of it necessary and justifiable even, most of it not. 

I got to thinking about enemies in the work place.  Often times your enemy in the work place can be an actual person or God forbid people.  Other times the enemy is you. 

People don't often believe this but I was extremely shy growing up and still am in a lot of situations.  I normally overcompensate for this by being extremely outgoing.  The one thing about being shy is that it makes you a great observer.  You often see things that others don't and pick up on signs, body language that other people miss.  This can be a blessing and a curse. 

It often leads to me seeing things that I wish I hadn't or getting my feelings hurt.  The hubs and I can leave the same situation with a completely different take on it given all that I observed (that he missed).  I'm sure we aren't the only couple this happens to!

At work I do a lot of sitting back and watching.  I analyze people and try to understand their limits and boundaries.  I often see people bullying each other or being manipulative to each other.  Sometimes people can be down right rude to one another.  These people are the visible enemy.  You have to figure out a way to work with them or around them.  My boss constantly tells me that we make a living by dealing with difficult people.  Ain't it the truth! 

These people are put in your path for a reason.  The easiest thing to do is play the victim.  Believe me I have and it isn't a role I wish to play again anytime soon.  The hardest thing to do is to try and resolve the issue with the person (or people) and figure out where you need to take responsibility. 

To me in these situations it's never about, what it's about it.  The person could be jealous of you, exhausted from person issues, or completely unaware their style is offensive.  While you can try and lay the whole problem at their feet the best approach is to be accountable as well. 

Sometimes the enemy at work can be you and your pride, or insecurity, or your inability to communicate.  Often times it is easier to play the victim and discuss this person behind their back so you can create a contingency of supporters.  This is about as effective as eating a cake and wishing you could lose weight simultaneously. 

The best thing you can do in these situations is face the person or thing that scares you, or angers you and deal with it for better or worse.  Letting someone dictate how you feel about your professional experience and career is the worst thing you can do.  They are only one person (or maybe two persons). 

This is when believing in yourself and the job that you do becomes extremely important.  Or maybe this is an opportunity to realize you aren't happy doing what you are doing and maybe you would rather do something else.  Either way these people are placed in our path as a growth experience.  Don't miss the opportunity to face the challenge and then overcome it!  You will be all the better for it, in the end.

Happy Work Day!

xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth, The Whole Truth and Nothing But The Truth

I'm Jealous Of My Husband

At Home Facial Favs