Do You

How are all my beautiful readers today?

I have to tell you that I have loved the phrase "do you" since the Jersey Shore kids said it a few years ago.  It is such a concise way to say take care of you and do what makes you happy.  

I think more often times that not due to the demands on our time, attention and lives "do you" is a lofty goal but one to strive for none the less.  I don't think of "do you" as being selfish or not helping others but instead as a great reminder that if you don't take care of yourself and put yourself first you aren't able to really be a good friend, wife, sister, mother etc. to others.  

"Do you" reminds me to make time for myself each day and to make decisions that I want to make rather than doing what everyone else wants or expects of me.  Each day I try to do something for me that I really want to do whether it's going for a run, having a glass of wine, reading, taking a bath, online shopping, praying or watching something on TV I try to make time for me each day.  I think of it as my "do you" time and it might look different each day but it is a simple way to indulge and take care of myself at the same time.  

I also think this time helps me remember who I really am not who people want me to be or who people think I am.  Sadly I think people's perception of us can sometimes cloud our own view of who we are or who we want to be.  I sometimes find people's advice and overprotective nature to be rather suffocating.  And while I know their intentions are noble when someone is telling you what you should do, or who they know you are etc. it can be a rather oppressive experience.  

Normally when this happens I try to take what they are saying in the spirit it is being said or as my bestie so eloquently puts it "let it go in one ear and out the other" :)  Also my "do you" time each day helps center me and remind me of who I am and what I am capable of doing.   

I encourage you to find some time each day or once a week to "do you" and get centered.  It will help you remember who you are, want you want and where you want to go.  It is also nice to indulge yourself from time to time and I bet you deserve it!  So take the time to "do you"!  xoxoxo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth, The Whole Truth and Nothing But The Truth

At Home Facial Favs

A Sad Season