Working Girl Rules: 80% Of The Time

I have to tell you that sometimes the hubs says really funny stuff.  He isn't one to talk just to talk (which might be why we do so well together) but when he does you better listen up.  When we were having dinner the other night he informed me that "80% of the time you handle things like a dude would so when you act like a girl the rare 20% of the time it throws me off". 

I busted out laughing and realized that like most things he says, he was dead on.  What's funny is I haven't always been this way.  Handling things like a dude is something that being in business taught me. 

I realized early on that I had to be faster, better and smarter because I was younger than everyone else and they expected me not to do as well.  When you are at a disadvantage in business for whatever reason it is up to you to figure out how to close the gap. 

For me I had to be taken seriously and that was hard at 25 years old.  So I brought out my A game meaning I dressed the part, worked my ass off and made choices some good, some bad. 

The one thing I always did was work hard.  I figured there were people who were smarter than me and people with more experience but no one was going to work harder than me.  It paid off big time.

Somewhere during all of this I also realized that you have to approach work without emotion (which is hard for women and I fail at it often), not take it personally, be direct and fight the good fight.  In essence I realized you have to handle things like a dude. 

You have to realize that saying something to someone's face is 100% harder than saying it behind their back but it is worth it.  You have to realize that having someone else fight your battles is easier but it won't get you any respect.  You have to fight the good fight and then let it go because it's over (no need to analyze ladies). 

All in all you have to remember that it isn't personal, it's business.  You aren't owed respect or opportunities you earn them.  You have to find what works for you and it will be different than what works for me.

Just remember that if you handle things 80% of the time like a dude you really throw them for a loop when you act like a girl that rare 20% of the time and that can be kind of fun too!  :)

xoxoxo

Comments

  1. Love this, Caroline! What a perfect way to jump-start your week....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth, The Whole Truth and Nothing But The Truth

At Home Facial Favs

Old School Calendar