What's On My Nightstand

I went to Barnes and Noble on Saturday and spent my paycheck on books.....I kid, I kid :)  Well kinda!  I love Barnes and Noble it is like a religious experience for me.  I can spend hours in the store, wandering around, drinking coffee and seeing what's new on the shelves. 
I know it's time to leave when the employees start looking at me funny!

This week I was shocked to not only see one but two books by Snooki!!!  Yes, I said Snooki.  I almost dropped my coffee when I saw Snooki in the biography section along side JFK Jr and Martin Luther King.  I looked at the sales woman and said "You have to be fing kidding me."  She busted out laughing and said "How sad is that?"  All I could think was pretty fing sad.  No disrespect to Snooki but gimme a break, how the hell is she a New York Times Best Selling Author?!?




Let's move on now to actual reading material! 

1.  Loving Frank

Is a great novel that is fact and fiction.  It is all about Frank Lloyd Wright and his mistress.  It is written from her point of view and not only tells you a lot about this incredible architect it tells you a lot about the man.  I really enjoyed this book! 





2.  Same Sweet Girls

Here's a little trivia for you book worms the author of this book is married to Pat Conroy.  I love Pat Conroy by the way and you will see some of his books in a minute.  Same Sweet Girls is a great book about college friends who grow up, get married and have to make some very tough decisions.  It can be gritty and raw at times but I really loved the story and have re-read this book many times.




3.  South Of Broad

Ok I love Pat Conroy!  He might not be every one's cup of tea given but I think he is an incredible writer.  I love how he writes about the south and often times will right about things that will make you uncomfortable but make you think.  I absolutely loved South of Broad and read it in about three days!  It is a great story about a group of friends in Charleston, SC and follows them from high school to adulthood. 




My other favorite Pat Conroy novel is much older but I love it and read it all the time!.  It is called Beach Music.  I highly recommend this read.






4.  More Room In a Broken Heart:  The True Adventures of Carly Simon

This was a random book I picked up on my way out of barnes and noble and now I am obsessed!  The only thing I knew about Carly Simon prior to reading this book was that she sang and wrote "You're So Vain" allegedly about James Taylor. 

There is so much more to know about her!  She has the most fascinating family, her father founded the publishing house Simon & Schuster, her family was great friends with Jackie Robinson and she often rode with him to Dodger games and Gershwin was a family friend who often sang at their piano.  The book is truly fascinating and you will love it!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth, The Whole Truth and Nothing But The Truth

At Home Facial Favs

Old School Calendar