Signature Style

A good friend of mine came into my office the other day and informed me "I have no style please take me shopping."  First of all I was shocked that she felt/admitted she had "no style" and secondly I was excited at the opportunity to help her (and to go to the mall). 

Here's the deal my friend does have style she just was stuck in a rut of wearing/dressing the same way.  My best advice to her was keep what is working and get rid of the rest!  I explained to her that she most definitely had great style but that she was wearing things that sometimes were too big or not the most flattering on her.

Listen I'm not Rachel Zoe and am by no means a perfect dresser.  I make huge mistakes and wear things that are all wrong for me at times but that's how you learn.  I am never afraid to make a mistake and learn from it.  I think if you don't try that's the real mistake.  So wear fake fur, put on sky high heels whatever you do just get completely out of your comfort zone! 

I could tell she wasn't convinced so I explained to her that no matter the trends or what anyone says there are certain items in my style repertoire I would never give up!  For the more trendy items that I want to try out that I don't want to spend a ton of $$$ on I shop at Forever 21, Madewell or Top Shop.  Investment pieces are different and what you consider an investment piece is different from what I might consider an investment piece.

What I can tell you is there are certain items that I cannot live without and I consider those the things that make up my signature style.  To that end everyone has a signature style and just because you don't read every fashion magazine and aren't a slave to Saks doesn't mean you can't or don't have style. 

So be brave, be fearless and do something completely different with your style but never give up the signature pieces, items that you can't live without! 

The items below are some of my favorite accesories and beauty products that I feel complete my style.  I will have to do another post (when I have more time) on my must have clothing options!

1.  Tory Burch Flats

I just love, love them!  I feel like they dress up and pull together any outfit I have on.  I wear them to work and on the weekends and never get tired of them.  Yes they are pricey but to me these are a worthwhile investment piece.  I HEART my black, patent leather Reva flats!


2.  Louis Vuitton Monogram Purse

Ok, ok so I have 3 Louis...sue me!!  My first Louis ever my sister got me for my college graduation and I absolutely love it still.  I bought the next two for myself after big "wins" at work!  It is something that is extravagant, that I do just for me and I no longer do now that I'm married :)  My favorite Louis is my Speedy bag.  I think it has something to do with the fact that this is the bag my mother had when I was growing up.  I love it because it reminds me of her and it is just classic.


3.  Lilly Pulitzer Wink Perfume

I have worn this perfume for probably 5 years and I still get compliments on it!  My hubs absolutely loves it and always asks what I'm wearing when I have it on or tells me it smells good.  I have tried a lot of perfumes and in fact work Ralph Lauren Romance for the better part of a decade before switching to Wink.  I love the cute, fun bottle it comes in and that more often times than not I can find it on sale at Marshalls! 


4.  Chanel Lip Gloss in Spark

I found this lip gloss when I was reading an article in In Style many, many years ago.  As I have previously stated on this blog I am obsessed with all things makeup and beauty related and when I saw Natalie Portman wearing this gloss I knew I had to have it.  To this day it is my go to lip gloss.  I always have several tubes of it at one time (in my purse, car and makeup bag) and while other glosses and lipsticks come and go Spark always stays in my rotation. 

I will say that Lancome's Tickled Pink Juicy Tube comes in a close second but Spark will always have my heart!

5.  Earrings

I have a great love for all things shiny and sparkly!  Just ask my hubs :)  When asked what exactly I wanted in an engagement ring I had a couple of requirements but my biggest one was that it SPARKLED!  I think more things should really sparkle in life including people but that's another post :)

I love, love earrings!  I have all shapes and sizes of them but the ones I feel look the best on me and the ones I wear the most are stud earrrings.  I never leave the house without earrings on no matter how bad I feel or look.  There is just something about putting on some pearl or diamond studs that makes me feel dressed up even when I'm in sweats. 

I have found some of the cutest earrings ever at Banana Republic!  People always think they are real and ask about them.  I hardly ever reveal my secret but how cute are these!
 

Another great place to find earrings is at Jennifer Miller.  I love her faux diamond earrings and they look amazingly real!


6.  Sunglasses

My final must have item is a great pair of shades!  I have a pretty small face so sometimes finding glasses can be hard for me and other times if I love them I just wear sunglasses that are too big for my face.  I have a drawer of sunglasses that I look through each day and wear a different pair depending on my outfit.  My latest purchase and favorite pair are below!  They are huge, 70s inspired and I look like a bug wearing them but I don't care because they make me feel glamorous and dress up any outfit. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth, The Whole Truth and Nothing But The Truth

At Home Facial Favs

Old School Calendar